Saturday, December 1, 2007

At Obama HQ

My name is Greg Koehler. I am a senior PPP major at Xavier, and I just thought I would check in and relate my brief experience with the Obama campaign last night. I was supposed to work with the Biden campaign the entire weekend, but instead the Biden volunteers spent Friday evening working for Obama due to minor scheduling complications.

Obama HQ was abuzz with life. Most (but certainly not all) of the workers are young, twentysomething devotees of the Senator, evidently having the time of their lives, despite the outrageous hours they have to put in. You can tell that they eat, sleep, and breathe this stuff, and they exude a sense of hope for the future that's contagious.

Most of us were put to work making phone calls, while another several were put on envelope stuffing and addressing postcards. Some people might be disappointed with those kind of peon jobs, but what you have to remember is that someone has to do the crappy jobs, and they may as well be done by the untrained volunteers. Besides, what's really fun about going to a big campaign headquarters is just experiencing the inside of the beehive. I love chatting with the people and and asking them about their work. I was dead tired from the bus ride, but somehow I managed to feed off of the energy, and the evening reaffirmed my belief that politics isn't dead in America. It's certainly alive and kicking here in Des Moines, Iowa.

Greg Koehler, '08

No comments: